Founded as Shepley Rutan and Coolidge in 1886 to continue the work of H. H. Richardson’s practice when HHR died at 47, this Boston-based firm has a remarkable record of success over multiple incarnations and partnership handoffs, and a large body of work across the city. Shepley was the house architect at Harvard for decades, completing over 100 projects including the Fogg Art Museum, many of the residential Houses, and Memorial Church.
From the start and for its first century, this was very much a family affair. Founder George Shepley married Richardson's daughter; Coolidge later married Shepley's sister. Named partners of successor firms have included grandsons of H.H. Richardson and George Shepley, and the great-grandson of Charles Bulfinch.
Shepley Rutan and Coolidge (1886-1915) introduced the "skyscraper" to Boston with the 14-story Ames Building, the world's second-tallest masonry building at that time. With Frederick Law Olmsted, the firm designed the original campus of Stanford University.
Coolidge and Shattuck (1915-1924) designed the Boston Lying-In Hospital (now Brigham and Women's), the winner of the BSA’s first Harleston Parker Medal in 1923.
Coolidge Shepley Bulfinch and Abbott (1924-1952) built the Harvard Residence Houses between the Yard and the Charles River, and the B.B. Chemical Building, one of the first modern buildings in Boston, just downriver.
Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott (1952-2000) designed the first high-rise residence houses at Harvard, and was honored with the AIA Firm Award in 1973. Hugh Shepley's retirement in 1990 finalized the transition from a family firm to corporate management.
Shepley Bulfinch remains an active firm today, executing projects for leading healthcare, education, and civic institutions. See http://www.shepleybulfinch.com to learn more.
Sources: Shepley Bulfinch website, Wikipedia