H. H. Richardson, 1879
National Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
One of five suburban libraries Richardson designed in this period, the "Winn Memorial" Library shows Richardson in his highest form. All the energy and detail he brought to the Trinity Church is on display, with his signature polychrome in brownstone, sandstone, and granite arrayed across asymmetrical masses that broadcast their function. The detailing by sculptor John Evans is unusually fine and extensive for a library project. The octagonal wing to the right of the entry was originally designed to be a natural history museum.
The library was originally paid for and endowed by the Winn family, who made their fortune in the booming leather tanning industry around Woburn.
Sources: "Buildings of Massachusetts," Morgan et al, 2009; Wikipedia.