Morton D. Safford, 1889Cambridge Seven and Dyer Brown Associates, renovation, 1975Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc., expansion, 2007
Preservation Achievement Award, 2008
Built in the late 19th century, this former wool warehouse on the 1882 Nickerson Wharf has served well as a museum for children. The large, simple open spaces with rough character easily absorb school and family groups. The giant milk bottle was a drive-in snack bar from the 1930s, relocated here to serve as an eye-catching symbol for the museum.
The 2007 renovation of existing facilities and the addition of a glass atrium incorporated sustainable design components and received LEED Silver Certification to become the first green museum in the city of Boston.
Image above: Tim Pierce - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28919100Images below: Boston Preservation Alliance