Boston Lying-in Hospital

Boston Lying-in Hospital

Coolidge and Shattuck, 1923

Harleston Parker Medal, 1923

The first winner of the BSA's Harleston Parker Medal, the hospital is an aggregation of classical and residential forms that break down the scale of what was once considered a large institution, built on an open site. Construction over the ensuing decades has closed in on the building as the Longwood Medical Area has become a center for medical education and research. Surrounding buildings of a much larger scale use a variety of strategies to achieve similar goals in very different ways. Elements of the original facade of the hospital can still be seen today.

Conceived through charity, the Boston Lying-in Hospital served women unable to pay a physician’s fee. In 1832, the first obstetrical hospital in New England opened its doors; this building was the hospital's third home. Five thousand babies a year were born here during the 1940s baby boom. In 1966, the hospital joined with the Free Hospital for Women, an institution devoted to gynecology, to form the Boston Hospital for Women. In 1980, another merger created Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Source: BWH Magazine, Winter, 1997