Charles Bulfinch, 1804–1805
The first Stoughton Hall, built in 1763, was demolished. Charles Bulfinch, a 1781 Harvard graduate, was asked to replace it with a design based on Hollis Hall, where he had occupied room 11 during his final year. The brick mass is the essence of the “Harvard look,” standing solidly and simply on its low granite foundation and penetrated by dozens of twelve-over-twelve paned windows. Massive chimneys pierce the hip roof. The central pediment contains a single window with bull’s-eye windows on each side. The building cost $29,048, of which $18,400 was raised by lottery. Bulfinch was paid only $300 for his drawings and supervision of construction.