Attributed to Charles Bulfinch, 1803–1804
This handsome pair of mirror-matched houses (eventually joined internally) shares an entrance portico with horseshoe-curved steps. Originally each house had a side garden, but when Cornelius Coolidge, merchant and architect, purchased them twenty years later, he built houses in the side lots. The brown sandstone lintels over the first and second-floor windows are in the reed pattern.
Since 1957 it has been home to the Society of Friends, a center for Quaker educational activities, the home of Beacon Hill Friends Meeting, and a residential intentional community inspired by Quaker principles. See http://bhfh.org/about/ to learn more.