Henry Hobson Richardson, with Frederick Law Olmsted, 1882
William M. Aiken, 1908
Paul and Carroll Coletti, 1939
Childs Bertman Tseckares/CBT, 2001
National Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Once called "the best village library in the United States," this is one of a series of libraries Richardson designed for Boston suburbs in his signature style. Here, he combined granite and brownstone to delineate the primary functions of the building across the facade - entry, stair, reading room, stacks - while on the inside, he used extensive woodwork and LaFarge stained glass windows to bring elegance to large, open rooms. Three eyelid dormers help break up the mass of the structure. Olmsted designed the landscape, as he did on many Richardson projects.
Since the library opened in 1882, several additions have been constructed, including a multi-million dollar addition in 2001 that combines the architectural spirit of the original Richardson building with the technological capabilities of a 21st century library
Sources: City of Quincy; "Buildings of Massachusetts," Morgan et al, 2009.