Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge, 1891–1893
H. H. Richardson’s successors designed the Grain and Flour Exchange using many of the ideas he had employed in his wholesale store for Frederick L. Ames, built in 1882 at Kingston and Bedford Streets. The rounded corner of the site is dramatized by the conical roof surrounded by a string of pointed dormers topped by finials. The sixth and seventh floors are suspended from the roof structure and served for a time as F. A. Stahl & Associates' architectural offices. The Milford granite exterior is organized into several tiers with two ranges of arches, the large lower order encompassing three floors. The small clustered arches of the top floor act as a cornice.