Renzo Piano, 2014
This six-year long project united Harvard's Fogg, Busch-Reisinger, and Arthur M. Sackler museums in a single state-of-the-art facility and expanded gallery space by 40%. A new glass, pyramidal roof over the old Fogg's classical interior courtyard centers the six levels of galleries, classrooms, lecture halls, and new study areas. This carefully detailed "light machine," as Piano called it, includes 320 glass panels and 1,800 glass louvers which all work together to maximize light in the galleries while protecting the art from harmful infrared light.
The 1925 red brick Fogg Museum was protected with landmark status, and from Harvard Yard it appears as if little has changed. Approaching from new entry on the opposite site, the building announces its presence boldly - a massive box over a stone base, punched with glass, with some of the structure exposed. Regardless of your point of entry, once inside the courtyard and the galleries, this is a wonderful updated space for the Harvard community and its visitors to sample Harvard's 250,000-piece art collection.
For more information including visiting hours, see: www.harvardartmuseums.org.
Images: ©Anton Grassl / Esto