ca. 1677; extensively rebuilt mid-eighteenth centuryRestoration: Joseph E. Chandler, 1907–1908National Historic Landmark
The oldest frame house in Boston was built shortly after the great 1676 fire where Increase Mather’s house had been. The land behind it was large enough for a garden or stable and had the unsanitary combination of well and privy, the cause of much disease. Rear lots were often sold off and built upon, with the small back houses linked to the main streets by a maze of tiny passageways.
Typical of the houses of the period, it was a small frame structure, close to the street, with an overhanging second floor, or jetty. The low-ceilinged dark rooms cluster about the massive chimney. Small leaded windows provide light and view. Several of the Reveres’ furnishings may be seen inside.
Paul Revere, descendant of Huguenots named Revoire, purchased his house in 1770, when it was already nearly one hundred years old. During the three decades he owned it, he fathered sixteen children; produced copper engravings, cannons, church bells, and false teeth; and was a leading gold and silversmith.
Images: Above, ©Bruce Martin. All other rights reserved. Below, ©Yonward.