Emmanuel Church

Emmanuel Church

Alexander R. Estey, 1862

Enlarged: Frederick R. Allen, 1899

Leslie Lindsey Memorial Chapel: Allen and Collens, 1920–1924

McGinley Kalsow & Associates, renovation, 2004

Preservation Achievement Award, 2005

This towerless church was actually built in three parts designed by three different architects. The original was a small Gothic country church by Alexander R. Estey, who also designed the fine, well-preserved Church of Our Saviour at 23 Monmouth Street, Brookline. Emanuel Church was the first church in the Gothic revival style in the Back Bay and also one of the first to use Roxbury puddingstone. In 1899 the church was enlarged by the addition of a new east–west nave, usurping the former church lawn. The original nave then became a transept.

Leslie Lindsey Memorial Chapel was designed in the 1920s by Allen and Collens, the architects of New York’s Riverside Church. Mr. and Mrs. William Lindsey commissioned the chapel in memory of their daughter, Leslie, who perished in the sinking of the Lusitania. The ornamental work here is of high quality, with ironwork by F. Koralewski and the high altar and stained glass by Sir Ninian Comper.

Image: ©Yonward