Edward C. Cabot, 1870
Cummings and Sears, 1872
John Adams bought this house while he was serving as Envoy to the Court of St. James in 1787, and finally moved in following his presidency in 1801. The large Georgian house represented a dramatic upgrade from the Adams' former saltboxes to the south, and they renovated and furnished the home with distinctly European style. "Peacefield" was home to four generations of the Adams family from 1788 to 1927, including President John Quincy Adams and First Lady Louisa Catherine Adams. Descendent Charles Francis Adams built the fireproof stone library facing the garden in the rear, as well as a carriage house.
The house, library, and gardens have been renovated through the generations, but the bones remain intact. The National Park Service manages Peacefield as a house museum. Tours depart by trolley bus from downtown Quincy in season. See https://www.nps.gov/adam/index.htm for schedules and more information.
Source: City of Quincy; "Buildings of Massachusetts," Morgan et al, 2009.