Sir Francis Bernard, 1766
Altered: Richard Bond, 1842; Ware and Van Brunt, 1870; Ashley, Myer, 1968
Harvard Hall is the third building with this name and the second to occupy this site. The original 1642 hall collapsed. Since its condition was considered too poor to repair, the second Harvard Hall was constructed between 1672 and 1682. When the second hall burned, this was its replacement.
The building was the center of the early college, with the library and rooms for tutors and students on the upper floors. Like their English university models, the accommodations were organized as suites with a bedroom for two students attached to a tiny study for each. The great hall that served as chapel, lecture hall, dining hall, and ceremonial center for the college dominated the ground floor. Built perpendicular to the street, the third Harvard Hall began the definition of two quadrangles. Major alterations since its construction include the 1842 central pavilion and the wings of 1870.