Alice Longfellow Hall, Harvard Graduate School of Education

  • <p>Longfellow Hall, Radcliffe Quad</p>
  • <p>University Hall, Harvard Yard</p>

Alice Longfellow Hall

Perry, Shaw & Hepburn, 1929

Harleston Parker Medal, 1934

Named for Alice Longfellow, a great benefactor of Radcliffe College and the daughter of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the building formed the final border of the Radcliffe Quad. Along with Byerly Hall, built next door at about the same time, it defined a relatively coherent Radcliffe campus of neo-Georgian buildings punctuated with good effect by some older clapboard houses.

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that this red brick version of Bulfinch’s University Hall in Harvard Yard (pictured above) was awarded the Harleston Parker Medal in 1934. In the depths of the depression, a building rooted solidly in the Federal tradition must have resonated more deeply than the forward-looking exuberance of the art deco style then in fashion. Continuity rather than change was the order of the day.

Today a part of the Harvard Graduate School of Education campus, Longfellow was renovated and “vertically expanded” in 2014.