Levi Newcomb and Son, 1876
Renovation: Clarence H. Blackall, 1913
CBT, renovation, 2009
Preservation Achievement Award, 2010
The Modern Theatre, one of Boston’s first movie theaters, was inserted into an already existing Victorian Gothic furniture store and warehouse built thirty-seven years earlier. The small theater seated 800. It had no stage and was designed with special concern for its acoustics with the assistance of Wallace Sabine, the Harvard professor who first applied scientific principles to the study of sound and space. The interiors were executed in the Renaissance style. The entrance façade features a large entry arch, originally open, framed by Corinthian pilasters with entablature. The first talking film, The Jazz Singer, was premiered at the Modern Theatre in the late 1920s.