Allen Collens & Willis, 1932
Harleston Parker Medal, 1936National Register of Historic Places
Built during the great depression, this monumental Georgian Revival complex served a dual purpose. The offices of a new city hall placed Newton's administration closer to the geographic center of the city's seven villages, and a War Memorial recognized the veterans and soldiers who died in WWI. The memorial sits to the west behind a massive pedimented portico and under a crowning steeple, and city hall occupies the balance of the structure.
Like the Harvard Houses built along the banks of the Charles River in Cambridge at this time, Newton City Hall adapts the regional Georgian vernacular for a relatively large civic structure, when the stylistic alternatives were limited to Gothic and Art Deco. The Olmsted Brothers designed the landscape for this large triangular site along Commonwealth Avenue.
Image: source unknown