Edward Cabot, 1860
National Historic LandmarkBoston LandmarkPreservation Achievement Award, 2009
Here the visitor has a rare opportunity to see the interior of a Back Bay row house just as it was left by its last occupant, Charles Hammond Gibson, who established it as a museum. The nineteenth-century interiors are intact and reflect the typical middle-class Back Bay house of the period. This and the house next door at 135 Beacon were built together by related families, the Russells and the Gibsons. Although the exteriors are nearly identical, the interiors are quite different.
To learn more and learn about tours, see http://www.thegibsonhouse.org.
Image: Courtesy of backbayhouses.org, taken in 2013